Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A queen and 2lbs of bees


On March 19th I set up my first apiary. One of Sonya's co-workers keeps bees. One day he brought some in to her work. I got to see them, and it sparked an interest in me. I talked with Sonya's dad about the bees and I guess he got interested too, because now he's got a hive at his house that I look after.

Tomorrow will mark 1 month for the bees. This is their fifth week. The eggs that the queen started laying the first week should have hatched by now. From this point on the hive should start to grow in numbers as we progress into the honey flow.I'm excited. They're fun to work with and watch. They're so productive as well.

I'd love to go into lots of detail, but I think I'll save it for another post.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Five weeks old...that's such a special time for new bee parents.

So I guess you guys won't be having kids any time soon since you have a whole hive to watch after.